Mint & Gooseberry Sauce
This sauce livens up any Cucumber Sandwich; a must have with a roast Lamb, or even in a refreshing Mint Raita.
- 150g – 200g Gooseberries; washed top and tailed.
- just the fresh leaves of a large bunch of Strong Mint variety (I have used homegrown Spearmint)
- a little water
- 20-50ml White wine Vinegar
- cane sugar (amount depends on final liquid quantity)
- Take just the mint leaves and finely chop until you have a quarter cup full, leave to one side.
- Place the Gooseberries in a pan with enough water to cover them and add the rest of the leaves. (use more leaves, better the final flavour) .
- Stew for 30 minutes on a low to medium heat.
- Sieve and strain through a muslin cloth until all liquid has dripped out.
- Measure liquid; add Sugar and Vinegar to taste. I used in a 300ml of liquid; 70g of sugar and 50ml of Vinegar.
- Reduce until thick syrupy consistency. Remove from heat and add reserved mint. After a quick even stir, pour into a sterilised Jar.
- Close lid firmly and allow to cool completely.
Can be used the next day onwards. Once opened store in refrigerator.