Veggie (Scotch) Ball
An East meet West fusion; using elements of Scotch Egg and the Pea filling similar to Kachori; made into these crunchy crust balls with Spiced Salad Blue Potatoes and a centre of Minted Peas .
- Potato Filling
- 3-4 medium Potatoes (Variety used: Salad Blue) Boiled, peeled and grated
- 1tsp Garam Masala
- 1 fresh red Chilli finely diced
- 1tsp Sea Salt
- Half tsp Turmeric
- Finely chopped fresh Coriander Pea Filling
- Half cup of fresh garden Peas (pulsed coarsely in a food blender).
- Finely diced small Shallot
- 1tsp dried Mint
- Half tsp Sea Salt
- Half tsp ground Cumin
- A little butter Coating & Frying
- Golden Breadcrumbs
- a little Flour
- Milk or beaten Egg
- Sunflower Oil (for frying)
- Make the minted peas. Melt butter in pan; add shallots, do not allow to burn. Add crushed peas and sprinkle in Salt, Cumin and Mint. Cook at a very low heat, for about 15 minutes or until the peas are cooked when pressed. Allow to cool down completely.
- Place the grated Potato in a dish and add all the ingredients mentioned under Potato filling. Combine well.
- Divide spiced Potato into 6 equal portions, working one portion at a time; make a pattie and roll up the edges a little on your palm. Place a teaspoon full of pea filling in the middle and bring all the edges together, to form a ball.
- Repeat with the other portions.
- Roll the balls in flour, then in egg (or milk), finally in the breadcrumbs.
- Bring oil to deep frying temp and cook until golden brown.
- Serve warm, with Mayonnaise swirled with Hot Sauce.