Light and Crunchy on the outside, soft fluffy on the inside. Cucumber Pakora in a spicy gluten free Batter.
- ‘Ripe’, fairly firm Cucumber; peeled, grated and with water squeezed out. Set aside. Batter Mix & Spices
- Half cup Potato Starch
- Half Cup Rice Flour
- Half Cup Chickpea Flour
- 1tsp Grated Ginger
- 1 or 2 tsp finely chopped Red Chilli (add more chilli if you like them extra spicy) Following Spice to be freshly crushed, or grounded:
- 1 Clove
- 1/4tsp Black Mustard Seeds
- 1tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1/4tsp Cumin Seeds
- few black pepper corns
- salt to taste.
- A little water to bind
- 2tbsp of Vegetable or Sunflower Oil as well as Oil for the Fryer
- Bicarbonate of Soda, kept to one side
- Place Flour, spices in a bowl together with Oil. Add enough water until a thick batter is achieved. Allow to rest for 1hr, stirring occasionally. As the granules in the batter expand, it may require a little water, DO NOT make a running batter.
- Set fryer on moderate heat.
- Into the bowl of grated cucumber, add a couple of spoonful of the Batter. Keep adding, enough to hold the cucumber ‘together’. (I found it helpful to make these in 3 batches, adding batter to each cucumber batch; reason explained below). At this point the batter can start getting runny, so will need to work a little faster.
- Once you are happy with the batter consistency, add the Soda, stir and once the fryer is ready, drop spoonful of batter at a time. The Pakoras will float up and keep turning until completely golden brown.
Can be served as they are or with a Red Pepper and Chilli Relish.