Carrot and Orange Cake
[recipe title=”Carrot & Orange Cake” servings=”12 portions” time=”1.5hr + soaking time” difficulty=”easy” image=”https://rekhagardenkitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/fullsizeoutput_6ef8.jpeg” description=”A delicious Cake made with seasonal homegrown Organic Carrots and a hint of warming Spices.”][recipe-ingredients]
– 120g Light Brown Sugar
– 80ml Sunflower Oil
– 2 Eggs
– Zest of half an Orange
– 140g grated Carrots
– 50g Raisins (previously soaked in Orange Juice)
– 25g Chopped Walnuts (optional)
– 175g Self Raising Flour
– 1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
– 1tsp Cinnamon powder
– 1/4tsp Nutmeg Powder
– 1/4tsp Cardamom Powder
– Place 150g of Icing Sugar in a bowl and add a little Orange Juice at a time until you reach a thick cream consistency. Grate a little nutmeg, stir and set aside.
1. Preheat oven 180˙C and grease and line 16cm Square Baking Tin.
2. Place in a bowl: Sugar, Oil and beaten Eggs. Stir well using a wooden spoon.
3. Add Zest, Carrots, Raisins (do not add the juice) and chopped Walnuts. Mix well.
4. Shift and fold in Flour, Soda and Spices.
5. Carefully pour onto the lined baking tray, placing in the preheated oven.
6. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until skewer comes away clean when placed in the centre of the cake.
7. Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly before turning onto the cooling rack. Cool completely.
8. Drizzle frosting over the whole cake, allowing icing to go over the edges.
9. Cut into 12 equal portions (or 9 generous pieces) and serve with a hot cup of Tea.