[recipe title=”Spicy Rice Balls” servings=”makes approx 16 ” time=”30min approx” difficulty=”very easy” image=”https://rekhagardenkitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/fullsizeoutput_6ff9.jpeg” description=”These go down so fast, extra rice is always cooked just to create ‘leftover’ Rice to make this cute snack dish.”][recipe-notes]
* Use plain cooked ‘Leftover’ Rice. Freshly made Rice will not work in this recipe, as the starch in the Rice need to cool and set completely.
* Recipe calls for fresh: (grated) Ginger and (finely chopped) Chilli. If not available use powdered Ginger and Green Chilli, from the store cupboard.
* Use Fresh ‘annual’ Herbs like Coriander, Parsley, Spring Onions. Do not use woody Herbs like Sage and Rosemary, they are far to overpowering flavours for this recipe.
– 2 cups cooked Rice (Leftover)
– 2 or 3 tbsp Chickpea Flour (may need more)
– 1tsp Fresh Ginger (grated)
– 1tbsp Green Chillies (finely chopped and yes 1 tablespoon)
– 1tbsp Fresh Herbs (I’ve used Parsley, Spring Onion and fennel fronds)
– 1/4tsp Turmeric Powder
– 1tsp Cumin Powder
– Pinch of Sugar (helps to balance Chickpea flour’s nutty taste)
– Salt to taste
– a little cold water (if required for binding)
– Oil for shallow frying and tempering ingredients: 1/4tsp Black Mustard and Cumin Seeds, 1 dried whole Chilli, a few Curry leaves (I use dried ones)and a pinch of Asafoetida.
1. In a Bowl, place all the ingredients and gently mix with a fork, until evenly mixed.
2. Take a teaspoon amount of Rice mix and a little wet hand make the Rice balls.
3. Once all the Rice balls are made; Heat about 2tbsp of Oil, add tempering ingredients. Once they start to splutter, lower the heat and gently add the balls. Move them around gently until they catch colour all over.
4. Place a lid on the Pan to fully cook them for 20mins (approx). Tossing every now and again for even colouring.
5. Serve, hot or cold with more herbs sprinkled over and a ‘cooling side dip’ of Mint Yogurt.
Need any help with the ingredients or the process, I am only too happy to answer any of your questions.