Blueberry season is now upon us and using my own organically grown blueberries to make this great breakfast alternative always goes down well either hot or cold.
As an alternative: add a little icing sugar to the batter and serve as a dessert accompanied with frozen yogurt.
Own grown blueberries tastes much more juicer and sweeter. Yes, I am biased against the shop bought ones, especially if I see they have air miles on them. My 2 small plants will not sustain me all year! So when I see these berries in Farmers Markets and Supermarkets, checking they are organic and British grown; I will buy and freeze them. We mostly use blueberries to make our smoothies.
When it comes to breakfast time we could do with a change from time to time; whilst these berries are in season why not whip up a batch of these pancakes, always a winner in our household.
- 1 Ripe Banana
- Handful of fresh or frozen blueberries
- 5 tbsp Self raising flour
- 1 Large egg
- A little semi-skimmed Milk
- 1/4tsp ground cinnamon powder
- Peel and mash Banana
- Add a little milk and crack in an egg.
- Whisk until all combined together.
- Sift flour and cinnamon into a bowl.
- Add egg mixture and combine all together.
- Add a little milk if the consistency is a little thick. You do not want batter to be too thick neither too thin. So add a little amount of milk at a time. You can make this batter a little thinner if you are not going to add blueberries.
- Add blueberries and coat all berries with pancake batter
- Brush a little butter in a pan which has been heating over a moderate heat.
- Ladle batter to desired size of pancake, but remember to keep them a little thick otherwise your blueberries will burst and stick into the pan. My pancakes are around 8cm in diameter.
- Allow to cook for around 2 minutes and you will see tiny bubbles appearing on the edges. Carefully flip over and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove from the pan, pile and drizzle with local Honey. If you can get hold of local honey in your area, I can assure you, it gives the best natural flavouring.