Herb Dumplings in a Winter Vegetable Broth
A quick pick me up yet delicious, heart warming Broth.
- Cooking Tips:
- Use stale slices of bread for this recipe.
- Use ‘pouches’ ready made stock. Ones I like using best came from Waitrose and Tesco. Bouillon powder mixed in water can be quiet salty. *Substitute leftover Roast Chicken (roughly diced) instead of Vegetables.
- To substitute Egg: add 1/2tsp of Baking Powder and bind with tepid Water.
- Breadcrumbs of a slice of Bread
- 1tbsp Self Raising Flour
- 1tbsp Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1tbsp Mixed Chopped Seasonal Herbs (Fresh Dill,Fennel,Sage and Thyme)
- 2 Cloves of crushed Garlic
- pinch of Turmeric Powder
- Fine sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 beaten Egg (small)
- 700ml Vegetable Stock
- Baby Winter Vegetables of your choice (I used Baby Turnips,Carrots and young Winter Spinach. Also used Stalks of young Chard).
- 1 Bayleaf and a few whole Black Peppercorns
- In a mixing bowl, place breadcrumbs, flour, herbs, Turmeric powder, crushed garlic and seasoning. Mix well, stir in the Oil.
- Add a teaspoon of egg at a time to bind until a dough ball is formed.(I used less than half the beaten egg). Cover and place in fridge to firm up for 45mins.
- Make dumplings. Each dumpling to be made with just a little over 1 teaspoon of mixture. (Note: they double in size).
- Place in a Pan over a high heat, Stock, all vegetables (except Chard Stalk slithers, Spinach and Spring Onion), Bayleaf and Peppercorns. Once it comes to boil, reduce heat to gentle simmer for 10 minutes.
- Carefully drop the herb dumplings and allow to cook for further 15 minutes.
- Add Chard stalk slithers cook for final 5 minutes.
- Arrange in Bowl a few Spinach leaves and Spring Onion leaves (cut to desired lengths). Using a slotted Spoon place a few dumplings into individual Bowls. Finally add the vegetables and broth over the whole arrangement.
- Garnish with more fresh herbs and serve immediately. ENJOY x