[recipe title=”Mint & Gooseberry Sauce” servings=”150ml” time=”approx 2hrs includes ‘drip’ time” difficulty=”easy” image=”https://rekhagardenkitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/fullsizeoutput_68dd.jpeg” description=”This sauce livens up any Cucumber Sandwich; a must have with a roast Lamb, or even in a refreshing Mint Raita.”]
For a thicker consistency add 100g of peeled, cored and diced of Bramley Apple (cooking Apple) when cooking down the Gooseberries
– 150g – 200g Gooseberries; washed top and tailed.
– just the fresh leaves of a large bunch of Strong Mint variety (I have used homegrown Spearmint)
– a little water
– 20-50ml White wine Vinegar
– cane sugar (amount depends on final liquid quantity)
1. Take just the mint leaves and finely chop until you have a quarter cup full, leave to one side.
2. Place the Gooseberries in a pan with enough water to cover them and add the rest of the leaves. (use more leaves, better the final flavour) .
3. Stew for 30 minutes on a low to medium heat.
4. Sieve and strain through a muslin cloth until all liquid has dripped out.
5. Measure liquid; add Sugar and Vinegar to taste. I used in a 300ml of liquid; 70g of sugar and 50ml of Vinegar.
6. Reduce until thick syrupy consistency. Remove from heat and add reserved mint. After a quick even stir, pour into a sterilised Jar.
7. Close lid firmly and allow to cool completely.
Can be used the next day onwards. Once opened store in refrigerator.