Broad Bean Curry in Aubergine Sauce
A western bean making a delicious eastern curry, and this combo works.
* This dish is predominantly made with hyacinth bean but in my opinion any fresh beans works even fresh peas and in particular young french bean pods.
- Tempering Ingredients
- 1tsp Black Mustard Seeds, a whole dried Red Chilli and a pinch of asafoetida.
- 2tbsp Sunflower oil. Sauce Ingredients
- 1 Medium sized Aubergine (eg Black Beauty) diced and can be peeled, I don’t.
- 2 Ripe plum tomatoes, roughly chopped.
- 1 cup of broad beans (fresh or frozen).
- Trilogy of fresh spice: 3 Green Chilli, 4cm chunk Ginger, 3 or 4 cloves of Garlic. Whizz all in a mini food processor to a paste.
- Dry spices: 1 teaspoon of: Cumin powder, Coriander powder and dried Coriander herb; 1/2 teaspoon: Turmeric powder; 1/2 teaspoon: Chilli powder (optional)
- salt to taste
- Heat a pan and place temper ingredients of dried chilli and mustard seeds into a pan and warm through prior to adding oil and asafoetida
- Add aubergine, tomato, spice paste and dried spices. Toss and add a little water if sticking. Cook down until the aubergine is soft and can be mash down, this is optional. Aubergine pieces can be left whole. Add 100ml of water.
- Add Broad beans, stir and allow to cook down until Beans are cooked through. Will take about 20mins approx when using young tender beans.
- Serve with steamed Basmati rice and Popadom