[recipe title=”Homegrown (Baked) Beans” servings=”2-3″ preptime=”30mins plus overnight soak” cooktime=”1hr 30min” difficulty=”easy” rating=”★★★★★” image=”https://rekhagardenkitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/fullsizeoutput_8166-scaled.jpeg” description=”Baked beans make a humble versatile meal.”][recipe-notes]
Soak 100g of dried beans in 400ml of water overnight; discard the water, inspect and discard any beans not swollen up.
Tomato Sauce Base: add hot sauce to give a kick to the beans or add chipotle chilli to make bbq smoked flavoured beans.
Use a pressure cooker to boil the beans to help cut boiling time.
– 100g soaked beans
– 200g fresh or tinned tomatoes
– 100ml approx vegetable stock
– 1 small shallot, finely diced
– 1 clove of garlic
– 1/2tsp mixed dried herbs
– 1/2tsp brown sugar
– 1tsp Worcestershire sauce or Mushroom Ketchup (vegetarian alternative)
– 1tsp arrow root
– 2tbsp Olive Oil
– salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil (may take an hour) beans in pan with fresh water until they break when squashed between finger and thumb.
2. Make the sauce base by sautéing the onions in the olive oil, adding a little stock to stop the onion from browning.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients except arrow root and stock.
4. Cook gently over a medium heat for 20 minutes.
5. Carefully blitz the hot tomato sauce until smooth, add a little stock. Place back into a pan and add the beans. Check sauce consistency. If too thin, add a little arrow root to thicken or add stock if sauce too thick.
6. Cook over a gentle heat.
7. Serve hot garnished with in-season herbs, (Garlic chives a plenty in my herb garden at the moment).