Soft Fruit Bake
Not all soft Fruit is destined to a jam jar. This is such a quick and easy bake, you will choose to keep some fruit aside just for this recipe. WARNING: must resist temptation to taste and wait for the cooling time to pass, hot fruit can scold the roof of your mouth!
- 200g Soft fruit (I have used gooseberries) washed, topped and tailed
- 150g Self Raising Flour
- 150g Sugar
- 70g cubed Cold Butter + a little extra to coat dish
- 1 large Egg, beaten
- a little Demerara Sugar (optional, gives it the surprise sweet crunch on the crust)
- a little Icing Sugar (optional)
- SET OVEN ON 180˙C
- Butter the Ceramic dish and sprinkle Demerara sugar and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, place the Flour, rub in cubed Butter until it resembles Breadcrumbs. Stir in Sugar.
- Place the mixing Bowl in the fridge for 10 minutes (approx) just to allow butter to set a little.
- Remove from fridge and mix in the beaten Egg.
- Gently stir in Fruit, keeping fruit as whole as possible.
- Put even ‘blobs’ of mixture into the prepped ceramic dish. No need to spread; it will do so in the oven.
- Cook for 40 minutes or until when a Skewer is inserted, comes away clean. Remove immediately.
- Allow to cool completely before dusting with a little Icing Sugar and serve. TIP: Frozen soft fruit, works just as well. If using frozen fruit add 225g in wieght of Fruit.