Using seasonal fresh Costoluto Fiorentino tomatoes, an Italian inspired Salad recipe perfect for a hot summer's day alfresco lunch.
- 1 or 2 Costoluto Fiorentino tomatoes (or any other Beafsteak variety, 300g approx) medium sliced or diced
- Fresh Mozzarella (150g approx) sliced or cubed
- Fresh Basil leaves
- Olive Oil (as needed)
- Course Sea Salt (and cracked Black Pepper optional)
- Make Basil Oil: Place 5 to 6 large leaves in a mortar with a little salt and pound with the pestle; slowly adding Oil as the Basil juices are released. ‘Oil consistency’ should not be too runny neither too thick. Optional: add pepper
- Tear and not cut a few Basil leaves, to mix with the Salad.
- If sliced lay the alternatively tomato slice with basil leaf, followed by cheese slice.
- Drizzle generously with Basil Oil.
- Serve immediately. ENJOY