[recipe title=”Homemade (Red Pepper) Hummus” servings=”4-6″ time=”2hrs + overnight soak” difficulty=”easy” image=”https://rekhagardenkitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/fullsizeoutput_6a0a.jpeg” description=”Hummus that tastes even better when home grown chickpeas and Red Peppers have been used.”][recipe-ingredients]
– 100g dried (White) Chickpea variety or 200g Canned Chickpea
– 2 Medium Red Peppers
– 1 clove Garlic (peeled)
– Fresh Cayenne Chilli (optional)
– 1tsp (approx) Tahini (Paste)
– 1tsp Cumin Powder
– Lemon Juice
– Olive Oil
– Salt & Pepper to taste
– Paprika (optional)
If overnight pre-soaking method; boil the overnight soaked Chickpea until Chickpeas are tender and outer pea casing falls away. Save a little cooking water too..
1. Cut Peppers lengthways, remove stalk, core and white pith. Place Peppers cut side down on trays lined with greaseproof paper. Place under hot grill until Pepper skins are burned. It will take no more than 15mins, keep an eye on them.
2. Quickly slide Roasted Peppers off the tray into a bowl and cover with Kitchen Film. Steam created in the bowl helps soften the scorched/burnt skin to peel away easier after 10 or 15 minutes. Peel and discard skin. Roughly chop Pepper.
3. Whizz together in a food processor, Chickpeas, Peppers, Garlic, Chilli and Cumin Powder with a little cooking water.
4. Add half teaspoon of Tahini and lemon juice, whizz again. Taste, add more Tahini if required. Remove into a wide reamed bowl. Add Salt, Pepper and stir.
5. Drizzle liberally with Olive Oil and dust with Paprika.
6. Serve with lightly grilled tortilla, cut in stripes or warm Pitta bread.