[recipe title=”Homegrown Organic Ketchup” servings=”Many Bottles” time=”3hrs approx” difficulty=”Need Patience” image=”https://rekhagardenkitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/fullsizeoutput_6a59.jpeg” description=”A store cupboard favourite made using homegrown Organic Tomatoes”]
– 2kg Tomatoes washed and roughly chopped (Best to use a ‘meaty’ variety which has less water content, like Plum or Beefsteak. Other varieties will work, may need further cooking out time)
– 1 Garlic bulb peeled (keep bulbs whole)
– 1 Medium Onion (roughly chopped)
– 1 or 2 whole Fresh Cayenne Chillies (keep whole)
– Bunch of Cutting Celery: tie up stalks and add the leaves in the Muslin Bag (or use 2 or 3 stalks of Celery)
– 1tbsp Ground Ginger
– 500g granulated Cane Sugar
– 500ml White Wine Vinegar
– 1tsp Salt
– 2 fresh Bayleaf
Muslin Bag Contents
– 1tbsp Whole Peppercorns
– 1tbsp Cloves
– 1tbsp Whole Allspice
– 4cm stick of Cinnamon (not Cassia Bark)
– Cutting Celery leaves as mentioned above
1. In a large heavy bottom Pan, place half the chopped Vegetables followed by the tied up Muslin Bag of Spices, topped with the rest of the Vegetables.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and place on Cooker over a gentle heat. Stir occasionally.
3. Once all the Sugar has melted in, turn up the heat and bring to a gentle simmer for about 1 and 1/2 hour (or a little longer, Tomato variety dependent). You should notice the water content to have reduced and the skin of the Tomato has peeled away.
4. Remove Pan from heat. Carefully pick out the Muslin Bag and discard the contents as well as the Bayleaves.
5. Take a large Bowl and place a Sieve over and press through ladle after ladle the tomato pulp.
6. Place the pressed pulp back into a clean Pan and bring the contents to sterilise temperature (84˙C) on the Jam Thermometer, gently cooking for at least 10 to 15 minutes. At the same time wash and sterilise Bottles or Jars.
7. Once you are happy with the Ketchup consistency, ladle the hot Ketchup into the Bottles and seal with tight fitting lids. Allow to cool completely before storing in a cool dark place.
8. These will store well for a year. Once opened, store in the fridge and use within 4 weeks.