This year adding to my seasonal Rhubarb desserts, is my very own seasonal drink. With an abundance of Rhubarb on the plot, it would be a shame to stop at desserts and preserves when using this vegetable. Although I make and have homemade jams in the house, I prefer to enjoy the crop whilst in season, before any preserving begins. As for the drink, I have decided to share with you a non alcoholic drink. Although a batch of Rhubarb and Ginger Gin is already in progress and will be enjoyed over the next couple of months, over a few barbecues. Rhubarb drink, can be made with or without a herb added to it. I have used organic Lemon Balm, as there is plenty of this herb growing on my plot, this year. You could also use peppermint. Just not too much of either, otherwise these strong herbs flavour can take over the wonderful Rhubarb’s somewhat aromatic flavour. I have taken a handful of the herb split it into 2 bunches; 1 used whilst stewing the Rhubarb and 1 steeped in the sieved liquid whilst the liquid cools down, before bottling.It is so simple 5 ingredients: Rhubarb, Water, Cane Sugar, Lemon Juice and Lemon Balm. This simple drink can be made in the morning, allowed to chill for 3 hours (at the least) and served the very same day. It will not keep for more than 3 days in the refrigerator . Therefore, more the reason to enjoy it fresh.Hope you get a chance to make this lovely drink whilst Rhubarb is in season. It’s non alcoholic so even the children can feel like grown up holding a Virgin (Rhubarb) Margarita.
Chin chin x
Virgin (Rhubarb) Margarita
A refreshing and perfect Summer drink to accompany any barbecue or alfresco dining.
- 650g diced organic Rhubarb
- 300g Cane Sugar (add more if you like it sweeter)
- 1ltr Cold Water
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Handful of fresh organic Lemon Balm
- In a large pan put the Rhubarb pieces, lemon juice, sugar and water. Tie half a bunch of Lemon balm. (This makes it easier to scoop out the herbs after the stewing session). Bring to gentle simmer and stew for 20 to 30 minutes, until all rhubarb pieces have broken down. Remove the bunch of herbs, discard.
- Pass the Rhubarb liquid mix through a sieve lined with a Muslin cloth.
- Whilst the clear liquid cools add the second half of the tied bunch of Lemon balm. Allow to cool completely before discarding the bunch of herb and bottling up the liquid. Cool in refrigrator for 3 hours (minimum) before serving.
- To serve: ‘wipe’ the rim of the glass with a wedge of lime and dip the glass in Cane sugar.
- Drop a few ice cubes, squeeze the wedge of Lime and Pour the Rhubarb juice, stir and garnish with lime zest twill and a spring of bruised Lemon Balm.